Joanna Garcia focuses her practice on commercial litigation, real property litigation, and class action defense matters. She has substantial experience handling matters involving business torts, the Interstate Land Sales Act, and the Florida Condominium Act. In addition, Ms. Garcia has particular experience defending class actions involving insurance-related issues. She also has an interest in emerging issues in litigation relating to social media and cyberspace law.
Joanna Garcia is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She was selected by Florida Super Lawyers as a 2010 and 2011 Rising Star, was listed in Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite 2010 and 2011 edition, and was recognized for distinction as an Attorney of Color Joining the Partnership Ranks in 2009 in the March/April 2010 edition of Diversity and the Bar.
Ms. Garcia was the recipient of the 13th Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service by a Lawyer in 2011, and is an American Bar Association Business Law Section Ambassador (2011-2012). She is a former Federal Judicial Law Clerk.
- Presenter, CLE program, “Litigation 2.0MG! The Impact of Social Media on Litigation and the Courts,” 16th Annual Hillsborough County Bar Association Bench Bar Conference, Tampa, Florida (October 30, 2012)
- Presenter, CLE program, “Be Careful Out There! The Allure and Related Ethical Pitfalls of Social Media Use by Legal Professionals,” 16th Annual Hillsborough County Bar Association Bench Bar Conference, Tampa, Florida (October 30, 2012)
- “Where Do I Go From Here? Professional-Development Strategies for Young Lawyers Trying to Get to the Next Level of Their Careers,” panelist and program chair,2012 Spring Meeting of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association, Las Vegas, Nevada (March 22, 2012)
- “Social Media Ethics for Florida Lawyers and Law Firms,” 2011 Bay Area Legal Services Cruisin' for Justice Conference and Ethics at Sea Seminar, Cozumel, Mexico (March 2012)
- “How to be a Successful Minority Woman in the Profession,” 2012 Mid-year Meeting of the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association, New Orleans,Louisiana (February 3, 2012)
- “Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in the United States” under the United Nations District of Florida Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (The New York Convention) and the Inter-American Convention on International Commercial Arbitration
- Presenter, 32nd Annual International Arbitration Conference, sponsored by the InterAmerican Commission on Commercial Arbitration, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (April 25, 2006)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section to participate in leadership development programs, Section’s Ambassadors Program
- Recipient of the 13th Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service by a Lawyer (2011)
- Recognized for Distinction as an Attorney of Color Joining the Partnership Ranks in 2009, March/April 2010 edition of Diversity and The Bar
- Selected by Florida Super Lawyers as a 2010-2012 Florida Rising Star
- Listed as an “Up-and-Comer” in Florida Trend’s 2010-2011 Florida Legal Elite
- Recipient of the Cecil C. and Augusta M. Bailey Endowed Scholarship for demonstrating character, academic achievement and the capacity for meritorious leadership in the field of law.
- Oralist, Florida Workers Compensation Moot Court Competition (Fall 2000)
- Southeast Regional Semifinalist, Oralist, Jessup International Moot Court Competition (Fall 1999-Spring 2000)
- Runner-up Best Oralist, Annis Mitchell Appellate Advocacy Competition (Spring 1999)
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association Antitrust and Business Law Section
- The Florida Bar Chair, Education Committee of the Equal Opportunity Law Section CLE Committee (2009-present) Special Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (2010-2011)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Co-Chair, Diversity Committee (2009-2010)
- Federal Bar Association
- Tampa Connection Class of 2005
- Tampa Bay Hispanic Bar Association, President (2008-2010)
- The Honorable Magistrate Judge Mary S. Scriven, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida Judicial Law Clerk (January 2001-December 2002)